Thursday, June 23, 2011

Playing with Dirt

Compost is best aged like a fine wine. I don't know who said that, but I suppose it's true.
My husband wanted to compost so badly, he started before he even had a bin. He just started piling yard waste behind the garage. This might have been fine if we had no neighbors who could see this. Enough was enough. We had to make this presentable.
We had a small bit of fence that we took out to replace with white pickets. And I salvaged some more fence planks from the side of the road. Matt used these to construct his bin.
It's a simple rectangle with a slanted bottom so that that compost slides forward for easier access.
The bottom front planks have handles so they can be pull out to access the best stuff and slid back in to close.
The lid lifts off for adding more yard waste and to be able to turn it.
I don't think we will have to do much though because thanks to its beginnings on the ground, we are loaded with worms. Loaded! So that is awesome. We wanted to go the vermiculture route anyway. It was nice of nature to just take care of that for us. :)


I love the cobbled look. I also love that we recycled this. Even the nails! Matt had to pry the nails out to use the planks and he reused them. And, of course, this compost will provide great nutrients for our garden.










This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) Mad Skills , C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three BirdsMasterpiece Mondays, Making the World Cuter, Sarahndipities, A Little Birdie Told Me (T) Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, Ten Buck Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Anything Related, Tuesday's Treasures, Strictly Homemade, Show Me What Ya Got, Time to Shine, Show Off Your Crafty Side (W) Wow Me Workshop Wednesday, Whassup Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made, What I Whipped Up, The Trendy Treehouse, Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Good Life Wednesday, Inspiring Creativity, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) Beyond the Picket Fence  Creative Juice, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's, Thrilling Thursday, (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday, SevenThirtyThree , Lovely Crafty Weekend , Simply Designing, Creative Corner, Tickled Pink 504 Main, Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence, Friday Flair, Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, Frugal Friday, Craft Goodies, I'm Lovin' It, Flaunt It Fridays (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop

19 comments:

  1. Great bin! I just began composting this year and I bought my bin at the hardware store. Yours looks really cool. I am super excited about my compost...I love that I no longer throw away kitchen scraps and yard waste. I'm going to post soon on how my compost is doing....sexy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting you from the "Blog Party"! i host a garden party on thursdays & would love to have you link up sometime? or just come over to peek around! oxox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Composting sounds hard...but my husband really wants to try it...is it as hard as I think it will be?
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really not hard. It just takes care of itself. It's a bit more challenging if you are including kitchen scraps because some are not acceptable (meats, dairy) and they will make it stink. We are only using yard waste at the moment, so it's pretty simple. When we mow, the grass clippings are tossed in, when we weed, the weeds are tossed in. You get the idea. It decomposes over time. We have worms so they help the process go faster.

    If you are curious if it's working, stick a shovel into the middle and turn some out. Is it hot? If it is hot, then it's decomposing.

    You use the stuff that is all broken down, which is why most bins have some way to access the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So impressed! I ended up taking an old garbage can, drilling wholes all over it and left it in the back yard. It works great but it is hard to get to the stuff on the bottom. Yours looks much more user friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has been wanting to compost for forever... maybe I'll let him give it a try! Thanks for commenting on my post, I'm following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! It's so wonderful that your hubby is into making the compost because sometimes you need a lot hauled somewhere in the yard and he will be so happy to get it for you :)
    Full of worms, is just an extra blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I wouldn't like having my neighbors see the compost either:) It will be so worth having that thing when your garden is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. My kids are dying to try this, but I am hesitant for the same reason---not place to store! Great idea.

    I'd love for you to join my giveaway for 2 canvas pillow forms going on now! www.alittleknickknack.com Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. I really need to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I really want to compost, but I don't even have a garden. Ha ha... one step at a time I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the recycling you did for your compost! I also am just dying to compost. I just need to find a good place to put it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so need to make one of these. Thanks forf sharing. :) Following from Not Just a Housewife. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. The most view link will receive a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels from my etsy shop. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks wonderful@ thank you so much for sharing.
    jaysonandashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! It looks great and easy to use! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman's Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I plan to feature it next week on Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! I have a little blog party called Simply Creative over at 365days2simplicity.blogspot.com. I'd love it if you linked this project up!!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for partying with me this week over at 365 days 2 simplicity's Simply Creative blog party. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done for being innovative in your thoughts and actions. Always good to recycle.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?